Re: icomplete-mode as replacement for iswitchb

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: icomplete-mode as replacement for iswitchb
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 11:31:41 -0500

> 1) Turning on icomplete makes C-x C-f show a list of matches (despite
> icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input being nil - this is a little
> jarring, but I think I can get used to it)

I think that's a bug.  Could you M-x report-emacs bug so we don't forget it?

> 2) However C-x b doesn't show any matches on no input - this breaks my
> quick-switch-between-a-few-buffers-in-working-set habit (C-x b, C-s a
> couple of times, RET)

I guess we could change icomplete-show-matches-on-no-input so it can be
set differently for different completions.

> 3) RET in C-x b on a partial match means "open new buffer with partial
> name" - I am trying to get used to C-j instead, but after a while I
> think RET is more ergonomic in many cases because it frees you from
> having to time a Ctrl press (e.g. f, o, o, RET is easier than f, o, o,
> C-j)

I think this will have to stay a user-config (you can change that for
yourself in icomplete-mode-map).

        Stefan