Design bug in browse-url.el: browse-url-can-use-xdg-open's logic uses ov

From: Florian v. Savigny
Subject: Design bug in browse-url.el: browse-url-can-use-xdg-open's logic uses overly strict assumption
Date: Fri, 07 Nov 2014 12:04:52 +0100

Dear maintainers/authors,

browse-url-can-use-xdg-open returns t only if emacs is running under one of the
desktop environments, i.e. Gnome, KDE, Xfce4 or LXDE.

I do not know the deeper reasons for this, but from experience, I can confirm
that this running under a desktop environment may be sufficient, but is not
necessary: My emacs is running under fvwm, and xdg-open works fine. (You have
to know how to configure it, but that is no dark magic either; I do it via
~/.local/share/applications/mimeapps.list.)

My guess is that it would be sufficient to check for the existence of the
xdg-open binary. The condition of one of the desktop environments being run is
somewhat annoying, because when not fulfilled, it causes
browse-url-default-browser, which is often employed to open a URL, to default
to mozilla (or whatever follows in its hardcoded list), which may not be
exactly what you want. Effectively, it makes it impossible to specify your
favourite browser without some kludgy hack.

I have included some of the information produced by M-x report-emacs-bug, but
since I am fairly certain that most of it is irrelevant, I have left it out:

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.14.3)
 of 2014-10-21 on bitzer.hoetzel.info
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11601000
Configured using:
 `configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc --libexecdir=/usr/lib
 --localstatedir=/var --with-x-toolkit=gtk3 --with-xft
 'CFLAGS=-march=x86-64 -mtune=generic -O2 -pipe
 -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4'
 CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2
 LDFLAGS=-Wl,-O1,--sort-common,--as-needed,-z,relro'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: de_DE.ISO-8859-1
  locale-coding-system: iso-latin-1-unix

Best regards,