Re: Turning off colorization

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Turning off colorization
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2014 10:02:19 -0500

DK> Toggle syntax highlighting in this buffer (Font Lock mode).

syntax-highlight-mode sounds like a very good alias for
global-font-lock-mode.  I'd welcome a patch which takes care of that.

I don't think it's terribly important, tho, since most users don't
really need to know how it's called since it's enabled by default.

> Some color-blind or visually impaired people may want syntax
> highlighting but not colorization.

Indeed.  IIRC, in the past, there was some kind of option in font-lock
to choose between "use fonts -vs- use colors".

> So maybe Emacs could offer a way to turn off colors without turning off
> syntax highlighting, at least in SHR.  I think it would be generally
> useful, but don't know if and how it could work generally.

That would be great, indeed.  Someone posted a patch last year or so,
that made it possible to tweak in Elisp the computation of faces (IIRC
it was around the discussion of the fallback-background color, to try
and dynamically compute the background face to use for the region, so
that it's always visible).  Maybe it could work that way.

        Stefan