Re: Colour selection in shr

From: Yoni Rabkin
Subject: Re: Colour selection in shr
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2014 14:55:13 -0500

> Yoni Rabkin <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> For instance, see:
>> http://www.classicalnotes.net/classics3/appassionata.html
>
> Ok; looks reasonable to me.  The luminance could perhaps be pushed up a
> bit...
>
> But as you say:
>
>> "Difficult" in this case is subjective and dependent on the way my eyes
>> work, or in my case
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism_%28eye%29#Based_on_axis_of_the_principal_meridians),
>> the particular way my eyes don't work. I'm sure that a healthy person
>> can see the text, but for me the bright white background makes the text
>> effectively invisible (the background white "bleeds" into the letters).
>
> Emacs should definitely provide a way to switch colourisation off
> completely for the users that want/need that.  And, come to think of it,
> it should probably switch off that on TTYs, too, if the user hasn't
> specified whether the background is `light' or `dark'.
>
> A patch to shr.el to provide a defcustom to switch off everything
> colourful would be appreciated.

A patch to shr.el won't work. When called through Eww, title tags are
colorized by shr.el but body tags are colored by eww.el. So turning off
colorization in shr.el would still leave `eww-colorize-region' in eww
working.

So I'm hesitating a moment just in case you are thinking of moving all
of the Eww's coloration into either eww.el or shr.el.