Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 10:00:21 -0400

> At any rate: I certainly hope that C-x 4 a will get a _builtin_
> equivalent in VC for working on commit messages.

I'm using a local hack that does something like that (used in GNU ELPA
where we don't use a ChangeLog file).  I don't like it very much, tho,
because you don't get to work on it "slowly" (i.e. you can't really
save it).

> When committing to GUILE (which wants ChangeLog style entries in its
> commit messages), I currently do C-x 4 a at each source change, copy and
> paste the relevant part from the resulting modified ChangeLog buffer
> into the commit message, unindent it, undo the changes in the ChangeLog
> buffer and kill it again, and then commit.
> There must be something better than that.

The thing I like better is:
- C-x 4 a as usual into the usual ChangeLog file.
- Let C-c C-a copy the ChangeLog contents back into the *VC-Log* buffer.
Just don't include the ChangeLog file in the VCS, so it's not committed,
not merged, not nothing: it's only used as a scratchpad to write your
commit message at your own pace.

But, I do wonder what people use to temporarily store the commit message
while they're working on it.  For GNU Arch, there was a standard file
name for that (with "tla commit" would then read).

        Stefan