Re: DVCS design philosophy

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: DVCS design philosophy
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 13:41:56 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>:
> My view on this is that we need to distinguish the tree from the ways to
> get to it.  So, the revision would get a hash which only depends on the
> files in it and not on the commit message, nor the author, nor the
> parent revisions.  Then the arcs between revisions (i.e. the patches)
> would have their own hash which would take into account the author, the
> commit message, the date, and of course the hashes of the "from" and
> "to" revisions.

This sounds rather like descriptions I have read of darcs.  It matches
up, anyway, with the darcs line on being "patch oriented".

It is too bad that project stalled out; I found their theoretical talk
about patch algebra and commutativity very interesting. Alas, the FAQ
suggests that they ran into a fundamental problem with the theory thst
they were unable to solve.