Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Referring to revisions in the git future.
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 11:25:29 +0100

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> writes:

> Richard Stallman <address@hidden>:
>> I've never used git, and I doubt I will use it for anything except Emacs.
>> I hope Emacs will advertise a simple recommended beginner's git workflow.
>
> The wiki describes it in detail.

I was of the opinion that the idea of a wiki caught on at some point of
time, so I am surprised to hear that there is still only one.

At any rate, that's not an on-site resource for somebody having
installed a full copy of Emacs.  One of the main points of a distributed
version control system is the ability to work offline.

"There is some instruction somewhere on the Internet" is not a
sufficient excuse for leaving Emacs without any resources pointing out
the desired workflow for Emacs developers.

If "the wiki" is an authoritive source for the workflow of Emacs
developers, it means that anybody who wants to can tell the Emacs
developers how to do their work.

Since not everybody agrees with the ways mossbacks keep track of the
copyright status of contributions (for example), this can easily lead to
such instructions getting out of synch with the legal requirements put
forth by the FSF and/or agreed upon by the Emacs developers.

--
David Kastrup