Emacs bugs at the Debian BTS

From: Ivan Shmakov
Subject: Emacs bugs at the Debian BTS
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:57:44 +0000

        [Dropping Cc: address@hidden

[…]

 >> My old bug report in the Debian BTS:

 >> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=687171

 > IMO there's really no point reporting Emacs problems that aren't
 > specific to Debian (and this issues obviously isn't) to the Debian
 > bug tracker.

        I tend to disagree.  First of all, strictly speaking, there’s no
        easy way for the user to tell if the problem is specific to
        Debian or not, except for building a version of Emacs directly
        from the GNU sources, – and at least /some/ of the Emacs users
        wouldn’t go through the trouble.

        Also (to state the obvious), as it’s the state of the /Debian
        packages/ that Debian BTS tracks, it’s easier to determine if an
        upgrade would resolve any particular issue by looking there,
        rather than at the upstream BTS.

 > They just sit there for some lengthy period of time, and only if they
 > get forwarded here does something happen.  (Although I do look at the
 > Debian Emacs bug reports and had looked at that one.)

        Indeed, that could be improved.  However, anyone’s free to bring
        an issue of their choice to the attention of the upstream
        developers, so that’s just the matter of paying some attention
        to the task.  Perhaps Debian would benefit from reminding the
        users to take these steps on their own (as part of the BTS
        acknowledgment message, for instance), but it seem otherwise an
        obvious thing for an (experienced) user to do, anyway.

[…]

--
FSF associate member #7257  np. Фейерверк — Гражданская Оборона … 230E 334A