Re: git transition issues

From: David Caldwell
Subject: Re: git transition issues
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 18:42:40 -0700

On 10/26/14 5:07 PM, address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) wrote:

> lisp/version.el: The bzr-specific code for version extraction will be
> obsolete.  The git-specific code is very broken.  Among other
> problems, in my stock Ubuntu environment the git log command it
> generates always fails, apparently because it can't find terminal
> capabilities it wants.

From version.el:
                          (call-process "git" nil '(t nil) nil "log"
                                        "-1" "--pretty=format:%N")

This looks wrong to me. %N is the commit's note from "git notes".
Perhaps this should be %H, to get the commit hash? And if so, I think
the better way is with "git show-ref", as it's a plumbing command where
"git log" is not (git log likes to redirect stuff through your $PAGER, etc).

  git show-ref -s --head ^HEAD

-David