git transition issues

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: git transition issues
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 20:07:18 -0400 (EDT)

I'm in the process of preparing a transition-day patch series.  These will be
the first patches applied to the new git repository after conversion;
the objective is to replace bzr recipes with with git recipes where
applicable.

For most of the files this patch touches the changes are small and
relatively straightforward. The easy changes are:

      Makefile.in
      etc/CONTRIBUTE
      admin/make-tarball.txt
      admin/update-copyright
      admin/notes/bugtracker
      admin/notes/tags
      admin/update_autogen

Makefile.in, for example, needs to have the value of VCSWITNESS modified

There are three files for which the right thing is not obvious.

admin/bzrmerge.el, admin/notes/repo: bzrmerge.el won't work in the new
repository at all, as it felies on bzr CLI features.  There is
material in admin/notes/repo tied to it.  All this will have to be
rewritten for git.

lisp/version.el: The bzr-specific code for version extraction will be
obsolete.  The git-specific code is very broken.  Among other
problems, in my stock Ubuntu environment the git log command it
generates always fails, apparently because it can't find terminal
capabilities it wants.

Bearing in mind that this stuff will remain in the archival bzr repo,
my inclination is to just delete it.  Nothing in the rest of Emacs
uses either .el file. I think it better for user attempts to employ
these to fail loudly so they will be fixed rather than silently
returning incorrect results.

"America is at that awkward stage.  It's too late to work within the system,
but too early to shoot the bastards."   -- Claire Wolfe