Re: strange font information in local abbrev table

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: strange font information in local abbrev table
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 12:54:48 -0400

> Which come in handy for example to define abbrevs when ediff was called,
> but could be used in other circumstances. Now while this works in Xemacs
> and GNU emacs, I just recently discovered that in GNU emacs there is
> some additional font information, whose origin and purpose I don't
> understand:
> example:

copy-to-register copies the text, including its text-properties.

> #("hallllo" 0 7 (fontified t)) 0 "hallo"

This is a string that has a `fontified' text-property applied to it.
This property is normally applied to the buffer text by `jit-lock' to
keep track of which part of the buffer has been font-locked and which
part hasn't.

You can ignore this property: it should be harmless.  But if it bothers
you (e.g. for aesthetic reasons) you can strip it by calling
(set-text-properties 0 (length name) nil name).

Notice that the other string doesn't have this property, because
`downcase' does not preserve text-properties (tho it probably should,
ideally, on the part of the string which is not modified).

        Stefan