Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: gfile-based file notifications are not immediate
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 08:55:31 +0100

Dima Kogan <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi.

Hi Dima,

[I will come to the other issues later when time / my environment fits better]

> On Linux it uses inotify internally, so if one was
> using Linux, would there be any reason to use this notification scheme
> instead of using inotify directly?

IIRC, inotify doesn't work on mounted directories. gfile uses what's
appropriate; on mounted directories (again, IIRC) it polls for changes
of the supervised file/directory.

> Are there OSs where emacs supports
> notifications ONLY through glib?

On BSD-like systems, including MacOS X, you can use only gfile these
days from Emacs. There exist a native library kqueue which ought to
implement file notifications, but nobody wrote an Emacs integration so
far. And AFAIU, gfile uses internally kqueue on those systems (not
tested by myself).

I also don't remember whether there is inotify support for Cygwin.

> dima

Best regards, Michael.