Re: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 22:36:28 +0300

> From: Dima Kogan <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:59:00 -0700
>
> The issue I'm trying to solve is that there's a delay between when a
> file is modified and when auto-revert-mode kicks in.

A "delay" of, say, 0.01 seconds is indistinguishable from zero.

> Compare the user-observable behavior of running 'tail -f file' in a
> shell, and doing the supposed equivalent of auto-revert-tail-mode in
> emacs: with 'tail -f' the users sees updates instantly, but with
> auto-revert-tail-mode they do not.

Did you try decreasing the interval to  low enough value?  If not,
please do.

> Before emacs knew about things like inotify, getting this parity would
> require rapid polling by emacs, but now we can do this efficiently.

File notifications are not immediate anyway, because they enter the
Emacs input queue.  Which also means that if Emacs is busy doing
something, the buffer won't be reverted until Emacs is idle.

So I see no real advantages in your suggestion over what we already
have.