Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify

From: Dima Kogan
Subject: Clarification about auto-revert-mode and inotify
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 00:00:40 -0700

Hi.

I'm running an emacs recently built from source, and the
auto-revert-mode functionality is confusing to me.

I configured with --with-file-notification=inotify. With this I would
expect auto-revert-mode buffers to be updated immediately, possibly with
some throttling. I do not observe this; it still takes ~5 seconds for
the buffers to update.

Ltrace tells me that inotify_...() functions ARE being called. It also
tells me that inotify_callback() is called immediately after a file
update, but the buffer is not updated immediately. Is this intended
behavior or a bug? The recent 24.4 release touts inotify support in its
NEWS; does this mean simply that auto-revert is more efficient?

dima