Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 18:34:48 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> The first problem is to ensure that the package is byte-compiled
>> correctly.
>
> Indeed.
>
>> The second problem is how (if at all) to re-load the newly compiled
>> package into the Emacs instance the user has been using.
>
> That's right.
>
> *BUT*
>
> If we can solve the second problem, then the first problem is solved as
> well (by reloading the new package(s) before compiling).

No it isn't.  It's quite easy to get Emacs into a state where you cannot
correctly compile anything for instance, although usually the problems
will be more subtle.

Yes, you can make some problems with macros disappear by re-loading
(from source) the package before byte compilation, but it doesn't solve
the first problem completely.  So we might just as well recognize that
these are two different problems to solve that allow for different
solutions.  The first problem can be solved with another Emacs instance,
while the second problem must be solved in the same Emacs instance.

Regards,
Achim.