Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.

From: Achim Gratz
Subject: Re: Elpa packages and macro dependencies.
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 10:01:45 +0200

Stefan Monnier writes:
>> That doesn't work when defcustoms, autoloads and defvars change in the
>> new version.
>
> Good point.  Indeed defvars and defcustoms can be problematic.
>
> OTOH I can't see why autoloads would be problematic.  Do you happen to
> remember of a concrete case, or at least the general shape of
> a concrete case?

Again, this in particular is only really a problem for built-in packages
since there's no way to make Emacs completely forget about the built-in
package when you happen to install a newer version of it via ELPA later
on.  When an autoloaded function is moved into a different file in the
new version, the new autoload definition is ignored (because there
already is one) and if you try to invoke the function the wrong file
gets loaded so it doesn't work (the original autoload definition is
always read during Emacs' startup).  It's admittedly a rare occurence,
but if you split a single-file package into multiple files or if you
were to do some refactoring (like the Org 7.x->8.x transistion) it can
bite you.

Regards,
Achim.