Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 10:18:58 -0700

On 10/15/2014 12:17 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:
  > It's perfectly fine for users to try "M-x grep -r" at home.  It's
  > not going to hurt them.

That's true for "hurt" == "must call 911".
It's not going to trash their files, or corrupt their displays, or steal their passwords, or do anything that's going to hurt them. Let's not be fearmongers here. The current behavior is useful and easy to explain and understand, and people use it a lot, and in that sense it is not a "bug". Although the behavior could be changed to better handle the use cases you're thinking about, that is a different matter, one that would require nontrivial work to do, and one that shouldn't obstruct the common current usage.

 > Conversely, it appears that you did not read the file
 > admin/notes/unicode carefully;

"It appears that you have not studied Unicode carefully", as there is
nothing in that file that suggests anything but work is involved

Nontrivial work needs to be done, and this is a technical barrier as nobody (including you) has had the time to do the work. It does still appear, though, that you haven't read admin/notes/unicode carefully enough, as a simple language-tag-per-file approach won't suffice for src/msdos.c, etc/HELLO, lisp/language/tibetan.el, etc., and still more work would need to be done for those files, the details of which have never (as far as I know) been discussed. It's not clear how my studying Unicode more carefully would help in that effort.