Re: Emacs-24.4's release

From: David Reitter
Subject: Re: Emacs-24.4's release
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 18:15:13 -0400

On Oct 14, 2014, at 5:54 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:

> I could construct one, but this is not a request that has come up
> before.  It would require a significant amount of new work.

Well, the thing is, I don’t know how to convert my downstream project, which
has 10 years worth of its own development and regular merges against two
version of the git mirrors, the later one quite official and GNU/FSF sanctioned.

I might cut off all history prior to 2005, “flatten” the merges somehow (so
that they lose their Emacs-side parent), and then re-connect to the new Emacs
repository with a merge right at the point where you do the conversion.

This will destroy a lot of history on my end, which is lamentable.

I’d say, do not create this alignment table if it is a lot of work.

> My full conversion runs take about 10 hours on a dual-core 2.66Ghz
> machine, and I bought a terabyte drive so I wouldn't run out of space
> while doing them.
>
> I should have more exact numbers for you in nine hours or so.

OK, with that I could go find a machine.  However, I probably couldn’t do this
every time I start reposurgeon.

Maybe I can figure out how to do this cutting operation manually with git.