Re: History for query replace pairs

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: History for query replace pairs
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 22:02:52 +0300

>>> So the first RET will actually do almost the same as TAB would do
>>> in the two-field minibuffer to switch to editing the TO part.
>> This is the minimal patch to implement this.  Opinions?
>
> I think this is "too minimal".  I much prefer the UI where you get both
> FROM and TO at the same time in the minibuffer.

There are two ways to get both FROM and TO in the minibuffer:

1. On typing some key in the FROM reading minibuffer, insert the second
   field TO with a read-only separator between FROM and TO.

2. Display both FROM and TO initially.  Then to use RET or TAB to switch
   from FROM to TO, and S-TAB to switch back from TO to FROM.

But the main question in both cases which key to use to browse FROM-TO pairs
from the minibuffer's history?  It seems both M-p and <up> should still get
either FROM or TO from the history one by one, so it would be easy to reuse
a previous TO for the FROM part (to invert replacements).  What about <M-up>?