Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2014 17:34:38 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > >  > That's not true: we try using UTF-8 wherever possible.  The few files
 > >  > that don't use that simply cannot.
 > >
 > > That doesn't seem to be true.  In fact many of the encodings
 > > discovered by "grep -r -e '-\\*- coding:" are ISO 2022 conformant, and
 > > a few indeed appear to be EUC encodings under an alias (eg,
 > > chinese-iso-8bit-unix).  AFAICS, the only encodings listed that can't
 > > be encoded in UTF-8 are the Big 5 family -- and that's only if you
 > > demand bug-compatibility.[1]
 >
 > First, you missed the file-local variables (the pattern you used with
 > Grep will only find the cookies on the first line).

So?  That's not a bug, since I only need to show existence of files
that use coding systems that *could* be translated to UTF-8 but
weren't.  I'm aware that not every file in a non-default encoding will
have such a cookie, and that the cookies may be mistaken, of course.

 > Btw, to find out how many of our files are in UTF-8 and how many
 > aren't, I would suggest to use tools that can explicitly tell the
 > encoding, rather than rely on Grep and on whatever you remember are
 > the ways of specifying a file's encoding.

Sure, but it's ironic that *you* are saying that to *me*, when you're
on the side saying that if you get the wrong encoding somehow you want
rawbytes.  Shouldn't you use tools that can explicitly tell you the
encoding? ;-)