Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Tue, 07 Oct 2014 10:04:50 -0400

     > Do people write spam/virus checkers using Guile?

    I don't know.  Why do you care?

Because hypothetical examples that I think are unlikely to really
occur carry very little weight in this argument.

      If such a
    user discovers that Guile emits nonconformant UTF-8, they'll surely
    have to wonder what other security holes they've imported by simply
    selecting Guile as an application platform.

I don't think we should make practical decisions based on such "What
would they think?" arguments.  We should do what's right, and people
can think what they like.

    To put it another way, Mark said that Guile is intended to be useful
    writing servers as well as interactive programs.

This discussion is about Guile in the context of Emacs specifically.
"What Guile does" generally is a different, though related, topic.
Guile could follow the Unicode spec in normal operation, but offer
another mode that Emacs can use.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation