Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117980: Merge from emacs-24; up to r117522.

From: Yuri Khan
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117980: Merge from emacs-24; up to r117522.
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2014 22:22:25 +0700

On Wed, Oct 1, 2014 at 9:44 PM, Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> wrote:

> It strikes me that the VCS could merge all the commits up to the one I
> want to cherry-pick, and then revert all the rest.  But I guess there
> are complications with this strategy, or else it would have been
> implemented already.

* A revert is the same thing as a cherry-pick, just with an opposite
sign. Would you really want to fix a missing link of a cherry-picked
commit to its original by introducing a few thousand reverts, all with
missing links to the original commits they revert?

* Imagine a mergy graph on the branch being cherry-picked from. How do
you revert that mergy clump? What if there are merges from that into
the current branch?

    \     /
     o---o---o---o B
      \     /