Re: ELPAing all the GNU manuals

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: ELPAing all the GNU manuals
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2014 10:47:36 +0000

Hi, Nic.

On Sun, Sep 28, 2014 at 10:36:03AM +0100, Nic Ferrier wrote:
> Should I do this?

> All GNU manuals are free. Therefore they can be redistributed.

> All GNU manuals have texinfo (well, I'm only interested in the ones that
> do).

> Texinfo manuals can be turned into packages.

> Therefore we can put all GNU texinfo manuals into ELPA.

> I'd be happy to work out a script for doing it since I am going to do
> pretty much the same for my HTML info reader.

> Opinions please.

Do you have a good reason for this exercise?  Why bother?  What does it
gain anybody?

You'll get one more non-authoritative place to obtain all these manuals,
and from this place they're not going to be up to date, unless you figure
out some mechanism of keeping them up to date.  Keeping them up to date
is going to be a lot of work.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).