Re: SP? {Spam?} Re: Adding packages to ELPA

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: SP? {Spam?} Re: Adding packages to ELPA
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 20:34:20 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by Emacs repo the difference
>> is that the emacs repo has a developer front end (bzr or git) which ELPA
>> has a user front end (package.el).
>
> package.el is customizable wrt to where it looks for packages, so its
> front end is not specific to ELPA.
>
> If you mean that the Emacs repository lacks the HTTP front end such as
> http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ provides, then setting that up should be
> easy.  However, I'm not holding my breath, given the unanimously
> negative reaction to my suggestions.

I think having a consistent interface for packages in core and in elpa
would be a good thing. Then the emacs core would consist of the
interpreter and enough stuff to run package.el.

So, currently, with ELPA I've just tried to install the latest version
of org. This works, but afterwards a call to (require 'org-html) works
but picks up the old version, because it's been removed from the latest.

If org were not installed in core, this wouldn't happen because
org-html would have been deleted.

Phil