Re: Emacs Lisp's future

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: Emacs Lisp's future
Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 09:00:17 +0100

Rasmus <address@hidden> writes:

>> [[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
>> [[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
>> [[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]
>>
>> If dash is a useful tool, we should incorporate it into Emacs.
>> Who is the author of dash?
>
> Magnar Sveen (Cc) is the author of dash.el and s.el together with
> contributors.

This is a very big problem. A lot of non-GNU-Emacs emacs packages (stuff
on Melpa, stuff on Marmalade) have depends to s and dash. So they can't
be integrated into Emacs until s and dash are.

My understanding is that Magnars lost control of contributors to s and
dash some time ago. Getting people to sign papers will be hard.

It's very sad.

I am torn between a much more open and distributed Emacs (which I
suspect rms won't like) and having Emacs stay guaranteed free and pretty
much consistent.

But that's what we did when we introduced packages. How else did people
think it would end?

Nic