Re: Further CC-mode changes

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Further CC-mode changes
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 09:39:16 -0400

>> solve.  If you choose to spend some of that time supporting old Emacs
>> versions (and XEmacs by now is a very old Emacs version), then that is
>> reducing the amount of time you can spend on eg improving C++11 support
>> (to pick a non-random example).  IMO this is a clear loss, so I hope you
>> will reconsider your position on that.
> -1

IOW, the issue is not "should CC-mode drop support for XEmacs?", but
"should CC-mode's maintainer spend his time preserving XEmacs
compatibility?".  While the indentation code is rather involved (and
hence difficult for someone other than Alan to hack on), the code need
for compatibility with a particular emacs is not particularly deep
or tricky, so many more people can contribute to that.

        Stefan