Re: building Emacs on Msys2/mingw32

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: building Emacs on Msys2/mingw32
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2014 08:58:48 -0500

Chris Zheng <address@hidden> writes:

> Sorry, I can't follow the hole discussion.  But if you want to run
> ./configure under Emacs, say, the in shell-mode, you can add
>   export MSYSTEM=MINGW64
> to ~/.bashrc, this will complete what mingw64_shell.bat do for the
> build.  And this is what I have done.

I have MSYSTEM=MINGW32 in msys bash under Emacs. config.guess returns
x86_64-pc-mingw32. Which is what you want for 64 bit builds (I think)
but just confusing otherwise.

But that is the _only_ difference betwee mingw64_shell.bat and
mingw32_shell.bat. So I don't understand the different behavior between
an Emacs msys shell and a mingw32_shell.bat shell. Sigh.

>> Just to be clear, the default prefix is still /usr/local. But /usr
>> exists in msys2/mingw32; it is at c:/msys64/usr. So /usr/local is a
>> reasonable place to install emacs. Except that will mix 32 bit and 64
>> bit targets; /usr/local/x86_64 and /usr/local/i686 would be better. So I
>> suggest we keep the advice to specify --prefix.

> I personal prefer /mingw32/local and /mingw64/local because: (1) The
> /usr is for MSYS2 system, and programs in it will depend on
> msys-*.dll, like Cygwin does.  But Emacs was native Windows programs
> which doesn't not depend on MSYS2 dlls; (2) /mingw32 and /mingw64 are
> unique and don't exist in /usr and other paths; (3) The Emacs you
> builded are more likely a MinGW32 or MinGW64 program than a MSYS2
> program, so it should come to /mingw32 or /mingw64.

Yes, that makes sense. It would help if the msys2 people would publish
recommended file system conventions with a rationale, rather than just
saying "do whatever you want". Newbies need guidance; we don't _know_
what we want!

--
-- Stephe