Re: Trunk emacs infelicity with linum mode

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk emacs infelicity with linum mode
Date: Sun, 07 Sep 2014 18:24:18 +0300

> Date: Sat, 06 Sep 2014 13:18:34 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
>  From the frame creation code everything is normal AFAICT.  The problem
> is with `linum--face-height' added on 2014-07-08 to the linum.el code:
>
> (defun linum--face-height (face)
>    (aref (font-info (face-font face)) 2))

>      (when (display-graphic-p)
>        (setq width (ceiling
>                     ;; We'd really want to check the widths rather than the
>                     ;; heights, but it's a start.
>                     (/ (* width 1.0 (linum--face-height 'linum))
>                        (frame-char-height)))))
>
> If you take these out, the frame is created as usual.

Yes, but how does that help us resolve this problem?  There's nothing
wrong in general with calling face-font, so linum-mode doesn't do
anything blatantly incorrect here.  It's just that this function is
called "too early" in the frame creation process.

How about adding some simple flag that would avoid calling
window-configuration-change-hook when adjust_frame_size is called from
x-create-frame?