Re: Trunk emacs infelicity with linum mode

From: Manoj Srivastava
Subject: Re: Trunk emacs infelicity with linum mode
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 11:56:28 -0700

On Tue, Sep 02 2014, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> From: Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden>
>> Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2014 10:22:35 -0700
>>
>>         To reproduce, on a graphical display:
>>  emacs -Q
>>  M-x load-library<RET>
>>  linum<RET>
>>  M-x linum-mode
>>  C-x 5 2

>>        This results in an error, the contents of the *Messages* buffer
>>  is:
>> Global-Linum mode enabled
>> linum--face-height: Invalid face: linum [3 times]
>> Mark set
>>
>>         Is anyone else seeing this?

> I don't.

> Suggest that you set debug-on-error non-nil and show the backtrace.

> Also, are you sure you aren't using some version of linum that did not
> come with Emacs?

        M-x locate-library linum says:
 Library is file /usr/local/share/emacs/24.4.50/lisp/linum.elc
 Which is the one that comes with emacs. I removed that directory,
 recompiled and re-installed the latest emacs. There is no change in
 behaviour. This is Debian Sid,  also updated very recently.

        I do not get any return from debug-on-error or debug-on-quit set
 to t, All I get is a beep, and the error message in the nodeline and
 the *Messages* buffer.

        I am also seeing the same behaviour on my laptop, also running
 Debian unstable. This might be related to the undated gcc tool chain
 that has hit Debian, or this could be mere coincidence. I'll continue
 looking (the strace output is pretty noisy,)

        manoj
--
You have a message from the operator.
Manoj Srivastava <address@hidden> <http://www.golden-gryphon.com/>