Re: POC comment/uncomment region in nxml-mode

From: Tim Chambers
Subject: Re: POC comment/uncomment region in nxml-mode
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 09:12:25 -0600

> IIUC, this is indeed needed, thank you.
> A few comments, tho:...

Thank you for the feedback, Stefan! Exactly what I was looking for. I hope
we can meet f2f someday so I can buy you a beverage of your choice. [1]

> Would you like to try to submit  revised patch?

Yes, I would like to submit a patch. I need to make time to study [2]
and [3] first. I also need to review [4]. So thank you for inspiring
me! If [2] and [3] need any touch-up, this week would be the time. I'm
going to get started this weekend.

> From: =?UTF-8?B?QW5kcmVhcyBSw7ZobGVy?= <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 08:36:03 +0200

> Why not just M-x comment-dwim?

Andreas, Stefan acknowledged the problem I was trying to correct: '--'
in XML comments should be escaped. Does that make sense to you?

All, the other innovation I want to make is to comment regions in XML
with a single pair of <!-- --> instead of commenting every line. Can
anyone point me to the history of why line-by-line XML comments are
the norm in emacs, even though XML supports block comments?

Also, have any insights to share re. relationship between
un/comment-region and comment-dwim? These specifics are all new to me,
but I'm a quick study who is motivated to make emacs better.

– tbc

[1] details of this offer being the same as those specified at
www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/tbc
[2] www.gnu.org/software/emacs/CONTRIBUTE
[3] www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Patches.html
[4]
lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?query=nxml&submit=Search%21&idxname=bug-gnu-emacs