Re: python.el changes in emacs-24

From: Tim Visher
Subject: Re: python.el changes in emacs-24
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2014 09:30:45 -0400

Since my terse statement earlier has already been explained quite well
by Stephen, I'll simply say that I agree with what he said. I think
the best way to gain support for the Free Software Movement is by
making Free Software the best software, a goal which, I believe (and I
would hope everyone here would agree), is actually _aided_ by the
software itself being Free.

So when I hear things like "We're not in the business of competing",
it translates in my head to "We're not in the business of showing
people why Free Software matters and how it can help them." It's no
skin off my back; I'll continue to use and love Emacs and other GNU
software. But it'll continue to make it harder to 'sell' it to my
friends, who think Sublime Text is _so_ much better because it comes
with saner defaults, more features (out of the box and visible to the
eye), and a prettier ui.

I have, however, made no real contributions to this community so I
understand if my voice is small, but I figured it's worth saying
nonetheless.

--

In Christ,

Timmy V.