Re: "modern" doc viewer for info/html

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: "modern" doc viewer for info/html
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 09:24:32 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> From: Nic Ferrier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 00:53:07 +0100
>>
>> Here: http://gnudoc.ferrier.me.uk/
>>
>> is something that (I think) Bob Chassell challenged me to do 10 years
>> ago. A "modern" HTML based viewer for info/html.

> Where's the capability to lookup a subject by matching against the
> index entries (what every Info reader does when I press 'i')?  Without
> this, any documentation viewer is much less efficient, except for the
> first reading.

I haven't done that bit. It's maybe one of the bits that I will
implement because the example is worth showing.

> I also sorely miss keyboard navigation, like having the SPC key go to
> the next node at the end of the current node.

That can be done too. I'll see.

> Btw, some cross-references don't work, for example "The Minibuffer" in
> the "The Echo Area" node.

Yeah. The markup is terrible.

>> I'm not sure I'll take this any further but I did want to show some of
>> the possibilities and fulfil a long standing request.
>
> How is this different from using the HTML produced by makeinfo?

I think it's clear that it's a different, more capable viewer for the
trade off of using JavaScript.

Some people object to use JavaScript on political grounds. It's another
one of those things that makes GNU people different.

But JavaScript does make a great user experience, so we're back to this
argument again.

Nic