Re: Please don't obsolete "crisp.el"

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Please don't obsolete "crisp.el"
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2014 16:04:59 -0400

> In Emacs trunk, just remove crisp.el with a ChangeLog note something
> like "move to GNU ELPA". Change etc/NEWS: add a new section after
> "Obsolete packages" for "Packages moved to GNU ELPA" and move crisp.el
> from obsolete to there.
> As to getting it into GNU ELPA; yes install the version that was in
> Emacs trunk (remove the "Obsolete-Since" header and add any needed
> package headers). Do that before making any code changes.

I think the above is OK for landmark.el (given that it probably has
0 users), but for something like crisp.el, it's probably better to
transition more slowly, e.g. with a release of two where it's both in
`obsolete' and in GNU ELPA.

Also it's good to add a Version: header to the bundled version, in case
the user also installed it from GNU ELPA (so package.el can know which
of the two is more recent).

> But it would be good to preserve the VCS history of the file, if possible.

I don't think that's practical (maybe some VCS will support this well at
some point, but currently I think it'd be too much hassle for too little
benefit).

        Stefan