Re: One more string functions change

From: Dmitry Antipov
Subject: Re: One more string functions change
Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2014 20:21:55 +0400

On 06/27/2014 11:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

That's not enough.  Currently, Emacs down-cases using the current
buffer's settings.  This is TRT in some cases, but very wrong in
others.  It is especially wrong when down-casing strings (as opposed
to portions of a buffer), because there's no reason to believe that a
particular string being processed has any relevance to the current
buffer and its defaults.

What makes you think that the system locale is more relevant? String
may be the result of search/match operation in the buffer at least.

IOW, we don't have any good way of specifying language- or
locale-specific case-folding.

What's wrong with case tables? If we're talking about Unicode only,
is it enough/possible/desirable to have just one (huge) case table
for all supported characters?

FWIW, I think _that_ is where we should concentrate our energy, not on
nano-improvements such as the one proposed here.  But hey! 90% of
Emacs development energy goes to such changes, while important missing
features are being left unimplemented for years.  So who am I to
complain?

"Why are you being so harsh?  We are not the enemy" (C).

If you have a personal TOTO/wishlist/roadmap/whatever, please share.
(Yes, I know about etc/TODO).

Dmitry