Re: Dumper problems and a possible solutions

From: Rich Felker
Subject: Re: Dumper problems and a possible solutions
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 07:49:14 -0400

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 08:32:55AM +0400, Dmitry Antipov wrote:
> On 06/26/2014 08:14 AM, Rich Felker wrote:
>
> >Because dumping isn't really possible to do in a correct and
> >meaningful way without serious restrictions on what the code can do.
>
> What do you think about this project: http://dmtcp.sourceforge.net/index.html?
>
> From their point of view, Emacs dumping is just a checkpointing in
> the very special moment (when all Lisp libraries are loaded).

I consider dumping and checkpointing very different problems. With
dumping you just want to pre-generate and preserve some particular
data for future runs of the program, but you want these future runs to
behave as new processes with their own command lines, environment,
clean slate of open files, etc. With checkpointing, you want the
application not to even see that it was restarted. They also require
drastically different tools for implementation, e.g. non-hackish
checkpointing requires something like Linux namespaces so that the new
process (or family of processes, as some apps may be) sees itself as
having its original pid (and possibly pid tree), etc.

Rich