Re: Finding packages to enable by default

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Finding packages to enable by default
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 18:16:46 -0400

Stefan Monnier wrote:

>> | recentf-mode                                     |      43 |
>
> I don't see any reason not to enable this by default.

Me neither, but I think it needs some work, since it uses features
(easymenu, tree-widget) that I imagine we do not want to preload.

I think maybe it needs to be split into a preloaded core that does the
basic stuff, and an autoloaded remainder that does the more complex
stuff (eg the tree-widget part).

I think the easymenu stuff should just be dropped; ie the menu position
should be fixed. (I anticipate howls of protest from the usual suspects.)
No other standard menu-item is customizable in this way.

>> | dired-x                                          |      33 |
>
> Fine by me.

I still think it contains "a few useful features and a lot of cruft."

(http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-03/msg00718.html)