Re: Some candidates for obsoletion

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Some candidates for obsoletion
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 07:24:32 -0400

    > please verify that with the users but before you do anything to them.
    > Please post on help-gnu-emacs and ask the user community to verify this.

    I don't see the need. I'm asking here.

This list is not a representative sample of Emacs users.

    Files in lisp/obsolete are just as usable as when they lived in another
    directory.
    It is always at least several Emacs releases/years between "move something
    obsolete/" and "delete it altogether".

True, but if this is meant to trigger feedback from users, it should
ask them for feedback.  How about setting them up so that if someone
invokes them they display a message "Please write to
address@hidden if you don't want this to get deleted some day."?

Or is the idea to leave them permanently in the obsolete dir?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation