Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117152: Arrange to never byte-compile the gener

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117152: Arrange to never byte-compile the generated -pkg.el file.
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 14:17:29 -0400

> affords us only ‘auto-save-file-name-p’ and ‘dir-locals-file’ as
> possible ways to exclude -pkg.el files, the latter probably a bit
> easier since it's a variable, w/o modifying the filesystem.

Indeed, the reason why *-pkg.el is currently recompiled is that the fix
wasn't as simple as let-binding a variable telling
byte-recompile-directory to ignore that file.

This said, it should be fairly easy to add a variable
(e.g. `byte-compile-ignored-files') for that purpose.

> If modifying the filesystem is OK,

Yuck!

> All of these strike me as inelegant.  Maybe now is good time to
> address another issue of ‘byte-recompile-directory’, namely that
> caller has no control over the order of the files processed.  As
> author of ELPA package ‘xpm’, i would like this control and would
> be willing to work a bit (i.e., manually specifying the desired
> order) to get it.  I imagine others might desire similarly.

I think this is ill-advised.  AFAIK the only kind of dependency that
might deserve such a treatment is the one where foo.el is newer than
foo.elc and where byte-compiling bar.el should not use the older
foo.elc.  But in the case of package.el there are no old elc files to
avoid, so there's no need for dependencies.

If you have another example where you think ordering of compilation
matters, feel free to post it, so I can try to shoot it down ;-)

        Stefan