Re: pkg-config required on OSX, why?

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: pkg-config required on OSX, why?
Date: Fri, 16 May 2014 07:24:58 -0700

Jan D. wrote:
having pkg-config as a requirement form some macros must mean those
macros are important.  What are they?

Among other things, the macros test whether pkg-config is present, and they do the right thing when pkg-config is absent. One needs the macros only to run 'autoconf' etc., not to run 'configure'.

It does strike me, though, that this new requirement to have pkg-config installed (and in the same place that automake is installed) is a pain. I ran afoul of it myself not five minutes ago, since I use my own automake. I'm inclined to have us copy pkg.m4 into m4, using a new tool (admin/merge-pkg-config, say). That way, someone can periodically upgrade to the latest pkg.m4 manually, and the rest of us won't have to worry about having pkg-config installed correctly.