Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: Trunk r117046 fails on systems with older automake
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 00:00:06 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:
Yes, it was.  It's the reason why fencepost.gnu.org still has 1.11.
(I think the reason was some bug or issue with Autoconf, but my memory
is vague.  Perhaps Paul can shed more light on this.)

I expect that Fencepost is still running Automake 1.11 only because it's still running Trisquel 4, a distribution released in 2011 back when Automake 1.11 was current. Trisquel 4 was a long-term release, was fully supported until last year, and is scheduled to get security updates through next year. At that point I suppose even fencepost will have to upgrade -- one can keep dinosaurs running only for so long before being overwhelmed by the costs of feeding them.

I don't recall any Automake-version-related problems when building Emacs for a couple of years anyway, and I've been testing only with the latest version of Automake all along. Perhaps there were problems before that, lost in the mists of time, but if so I've forgotten them.