Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117002: Correctly treat progn contents as tople

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r117002: Correctly treat progn contents as toplevel forms when byte compiling
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 14:37:24 -0400

> Nobody is going to write a defmacro at toplevel inside a cl-letf.

So far, nobody has written the kind of code you say you want to write.
In both cases it's trying to handle hypothetical cases, so indeed,
I prefer neither overall.

I'm OK with adding a bit of complexity if it removes special cases
(which my proposal might do, tho I have no experience with it, so maybe
it'll need horrendous hacks to implement and additionally it will
introduce new special cases), but the CL semantics adds complexity
without really removing special cases: it just moves the "special case
boundary" elsewhere.  And I don't like it for that reason.
It's a question of taste, to a large extent, hence the bikeshedding.

I prefer you adding `eval-and-compile' at a few places to work around
the "buggy Elisp semantics" over imposing the CL semantics.

        Stefan