Re: smtpmail support of unicode passwords

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: smtpmail support of unicode passwords
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2014 16:57:02 +0200 (CEST)

[Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> (2014-04-14 12:55:17 UTC)]

> > My reading if the relevant RFCs is that UTF-8 must be used, but I'm no
> > expert in this area.
>
> Oh, so it's actually standardized?  Wonderful, utf-8 it is then, much
> better, indeed!

It is with some trepidation I notice that RFC 4616 does not mention
normalization at all. Are "élan" and "élan" the same password or not?
Should the latter (NFD) be normalized to the former (NFC) or not? Or
the other way around?

(In case it is not obvious, é is U+00E9 LATIN SMALL LETTER E WITH
ACUTE, while the NFD form contains an ordinary U+0045 LATIN CAPITAL
LETTER E followed by U+0301 COMBINING ACUTE ACCENT)

I am unaware of any standardization in this area, but I bring it up so
you can at least be aware of the issue, even if it's not clear how to
handle it.

– Harald

PS. Relevant reference: http://unicode.org/reports/tr15/