Re: `turn-on-eldoc-mode' obsolete?

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: `turn-on-eldoc-mode' obsolete?
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 13:12:46 +0200

Rüdiger Sonderfeld <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Rüdiger,

> in r116095 the function `turn-on-eldoc-mode' was replaced by an alias
> for `eldoc-mode' and marked obsolete.  There was no entry in the
> ChangeLog for this and I don't understand the reason.  It seems
> several minor modes provide a `turn-on' function to avoid the toggling
> behaviour of the minor mode command (e.g., turn-on-auto-fill,
> turn-on-flyspell, etc.).  Which is quite useful for mode hooks.

It used to be but not anymore.  Now all minor-modes defined with
`define-minor-mode' (which see) are turned on when passed no argument.
Thus

  (add-hook 'some-mode-hook #'some-minor-mode)

will always enable some-minor-mode.

The toggling behavior is only active in interactive calls or from lisp
if you provide 'toggle as argument.

Bye,
Tassilo