Re: Emacs pretest -- electric-pair-mode change

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: Emacs pretest -- electric-pair-mode change
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2014 14:43:49 +0100

Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden (João Távora) writes:
>
>> This last behaviour is also arguable but it is "way too clever", almost
>> buggy. The trunk's behaviour is better: it always inhibits pairing, the
>> surprising electric action, whenever there is unbalance, and as such is
>> more predictable.
>
> I don't see what can be "too clever" about it. It's either buggy, or just
> sloppy (as in: electric-pair-mode isn't aware of that specific case).

It's too clever because I was trying to implement the reasoning that
only if the string immediately following point being unbalanced can you
be sure that inhibiting is the right thing. Because if strings are
unbalanced in the whole buffer you can't really be sure whether the
correct is thing is to add just the one quote at beginning or at the
end. I also had faster implementation, but that was a side effect.

Anyway, a few weeks using it, I realized that this behaviour is
annoying, is practically never what I want, and is hard to predict.

João