Re: Vector graphics overlays

From: joakim
Subject: Re: Vector graphics overlays
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 2014 16:15:21 +0100

Elias Mårtenson <address@hidden> writes:

> On 22 March 2014 22:42, <address@hidden> wrote:
>

>     I'm not sure what you want do achieve, but perhaps the Xwidget
>     branch
>
>     can be of interest. In the branch its possible to embedd a webkit
>     browser in an emacs window, similar to an image. So, you could
>     show svg
>     graphics in the webkit component.
>

> What I want to do is more than just show graphics. I want to show
> overlay graphics on top of the text. In fact, the graphics will
> actually (seem to) interact with the text. In its simplest form, you
> might envision a box around some text, or an arrow drawn on top of the
> text, pointing at a given word.
>
> That said, if Xwidget can provide a way to draw its stuff on top of
> the text being edited, then it could possibly do exactly what I want.

You get a browser inside emacs. So, you can mix graphics and text as you
can in a browser.

The component doesnt overlay transparently on top of the emacs buffer
though. You get a component that is part of a buffer like an image,
except it is interactive.

It should be possible to do some alpha blending trickery though, if
thats what you really want.

The way the xwidget branch works, it uses offscreen buffers to create
bitmaps that are blitted to screen. This is to integrate with the emacs
display engine. One could perhaps fetch the offscreen content of an
emacs buffer to the mix.

(Your name sounds Swedish so we could discuss this off-list in Swedish
if you are further interested in this aproach)

--
Joakim Verona