Re: State of the repository conversion

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: State of the repository conversion
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:53:18 +0100

> Thanks.  However, I cannot easily map this arrangement to what I had
> in mind, namely, having a separate trunk and release branches, each
> one having its working tree in a different directory.  What am I
> missing?

Ok, so you want separate working directories of the official master and
release branches?

I have satisfied this requirement for myself, by simply having separate
clones, something like this:
 cd ~/git
 git clone http://somewhere/emacs.git
 git clone --branch release-23.4 http://somewhere/emacs.git emacs-release-23.4
 git clone --branch release-24.0 http://somewhere/emacs.git emacs-release-24.0

Exchange of information between these branches can take place with push
and pull from the upstream repository.

> As for feature branches, I think relatively short-lived ones will be
> better off in the same directory as the trunk, because they aren't
> expected to diverge too much, so having them co-located actually makes
> a lot of sense and saves time.

By "co-located", do you mean one .git directory serving multiple working
directories?  If so, that was the problem I was trying to solve by using
a local "remote": exchanging branches across separate clones.

> (Since each build produces also a numbered emacs-XX.YY.nn executable,
> it is at least in theory possible to have several executables
> available at once.)  By contrast, feature branches that make deep
> changes and this diverge a lot from the trunk are better kept in
> separate directories, like the release branch.

Ok, separate clones would work here as well.

>> Downsides to a git repository backing multiple working directories, are:
>> - 3 copies of the git repository on disk, rather than just one

> Doesn't --separate-git-dir solve that problem?

I don't know.  I have never used this.

Is this the experimental multiple working directories for one git
directory feature people were talking about earlier in the thread?

Or is this something else? It is in the main git documentation, so
presumably this is a mainline feature...?

Will using this option confuse other git tools?