Re: State of the repository conversion

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: State of the repository conversion
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 18:13:31 +0200

> From: Óscar Fuentes <address@hidden>
> Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 05:09:58 +0100
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> I would encourage git newcomers to just use Magit. It provides a nice UI
> >> for git, requiring very basic knowledge of git's specific features.
> >
> > That's unrelated to the issue at hand, which is how we use git at the
> > project level.
>
> Magit can determine how you use git at the project level.

I very much hope that it will be the other way around: first we decide
how we want to work, and only afterwards tweak the tools (if needed)
to match that.

> Since it makes ordinary tasks quite more simple and less
> error-prone, git's barroque UI is no longer a significant factor.

We've been there: I don't think you can entirely ignore the
command-line UI to git.  Too much of the useful functionality isn't
accessible through front ends.