Including Yasnippet to Emacs

From: Danil Orlov
Subject: Including Yasnippet to Emacs
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 06:10:12 +0200

I know that everybody want to push to Emacs standard distro something what he
needs. But snippets is another
question - it is too wide used technology to be ignored. Sublime Text Editor,
TextMate has it, all Jetbrains IDEs has it, I even
think that every IDE nowdays has it. That's bad argument, but I have another
one - lots of modes creates its own wheel to support snippets.

html-mode uses own snippets for tags
web-mode uses own snippets "C-c C-s"
markdown-mode uses own snippets for headers

and that's only modes I use.

I think that if Emacs will have unified mechanism for managing snippets, it
will be useful not only for end users, but also for mode creators.
And those snippets-for-each-mode also steal keybindings. And many of us uses
Yasnippet too, so we in fact always have two different snippet engines.

Of course now Yasnippet probably a bit clumsy for usage via API. Maybe
something like this must be supported, to migrate mode snippets easily.

(yas/api-add-snippet
                     "html-mode"   ; mode
                     "h1"          ; name and key
                     "C-x n 1"     ; keyboard shortcut
                     "<h1>$1</h1>" ; snippet body
                     )

So you, as mode author, must not think about bindings, creating function for
each snippet.

What do you think about it?