Re: Trunk still not open

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 10:22:27 +0200

> Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2014 04:09:47 +0200
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Updating Texinfo manuals is low-cost? It's a yet another technology a
> person will have to learn to contribute, that, in all likelihood, they
> won't use anywhere else.

Texinfo is almost plain text, the markup you need to learn is quite
minimal, and fairly similar semantically to HTML.  The markup is also
quite a mechanical part of writing the docs, and you will quickly
learn to do it correctly given the comments for your first
submissions.

The main part is writing the text itself, and learning to describe a
feature concisely and clearly.  That is something you will find useful
everywhere, as long as you are involved in writing and maintaining
software.  Software engineers who can write good docs are rare and
therefore quite valued.

Take a look at gdb-patches mailing list, where we have people writing
docs for every patch, and see for yourself how this works.  There are
a few of them there for whom writing English is much more difficult
than writing C or Python, and yet they still do this.