Re: Trunk still not open

From: Daniel Colascione
Subject: Re: Trunk still not open
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2014 13:08:32 -0700

On 03/14/2014 12:31 PM, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Dmitry Gutov wrote:
>
>> I really wish the project went with "no-push-without-tests" requirement
>> instead, first.
>
> That is a separate issue. I'd like it not to sidetrack this discussion.
>
> (I previously asked for more people to write tests:
>
> https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2013-06/msg00995.html
>
> Not much happened, except that a bunch of people wrote a bunch of
> emails, like always, and nobody did anything. I'd like this current
> discussion to actually have tangible results.)

It's worked to some extent. I've written a bunch of tests myself, and
ISTR at least one bug being caught later when these tests failed,
although I can't dig up the email right now.

One thing that would help is making automated testing results more
prominent. It'd be nice to direct build failure messages from
emacs-buildstatus to somewhere more prominent (like bug-gnu-emacs) where
we can treat a build break or test failure like any other bug. It'll
produce a lot of noise at first, but it'd be worth it, IMHO.

Setting up Windows, DOS, OS X, etc. builds would help too, but that's
more SHTDI work.